Nurse Practitioner (“NP”) of Mon Sheong Long Term Care Homes (“MSLTC”) is a management position, will report to the Senior Administrator and are accountable to the Medical Director for policies, procedures, and protocols for medical services. The NP is a primary care provider to residents and work within the legislative scope of practice as described and outlined by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO).
Responsibilities: The NP will collaborate with the Medical team to:
- Conduct resident assessments, diagnosing; ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests.
- Prescribe pharmaceuticals and performing specific procedures within the legislated scope of practice.
- Ensure a timely response to a resident’s changing health status and needs i.e. focus on acute care to avoid ER Admission or deterioration or gaps in palliation.
- Provide direct resident care focusing on health promotion and maximizing resident’s safety and function to support frail seniors within our care.
- Perform clinical assessments combined with sound clinical judgement/diagnostic and treatment skills – within full scope of practice as defined by CNO.
- Facilitate the coordination and involvement of key stakeholders, including physicians, clinical staff and families, in the development of Resident care plans, with a focus on patient-centered care.
- Demonstrate leadership skills by working effectively and collaboratively amongst inter-disciplinary team, building and foster external relationship.
- Demonstrate leadership in the nursing staff education to increase the nursing capacity to bridge the knowledge gaps.
- Demonstrate leadership in the education, mentoring, support and communication with staff, residents and families.
- Ensure the provision of safe, evidence based, cost effective, resident and family centered care.
- Identify and implement appropriate clinical documentation and record keeping practices.
- Keep up to date with health related policy and implement if deemed appropriate to impact resident care in a positive manner.
- Participate in ongoing quality monitoring and improvement.
- Participate in creating, delivering and maintaining an exceptional quality program.
- Other duties might be assigned from time to time.
- Will Act as the Director of Resident Care as required as designated by the Senior Administrator to ensure the Nursing and Personal Care Services are sustained.
- Completion of a recognized Primary Care or Adult Nurse Practitioner program with a minimum of 3 years of geriatric experience preferred;
- Able to prescribe controlled substances as authorized by CNO;
- Registered with the CNO in the Extended Class as the Nurse Practitioner;
- Sound working knowledge of health care and geriatric care;
- PIECES (Physical, Intellectual, Emotional, Capability, Environment and Social) or other seniors-focused training or professional development, an asset;
- Previous experience in clinical work with geriatric clients;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and to assess situations and problems efficiently and effectively;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to speak Cantonese and/or Mandarin is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, experience with written documentation, care plans and dictation;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, collaborative and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to exercise initiative and observe strict confidentiality;
- Demonstrated commitment to Mon Sheong Foundation core values.
Note: We thank all candidates for their interests. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Disclaimer: Mon Sheong Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or testing, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.