Reporting to the Director of Resident Care or designate at Mon Sheong Home for the Aged, the incumbent is responsible for providing nursing care to meet the physical, psychological, emotional, cultural, spiritual and social needs of the residents. This position is part of CUPE.
- Observe, promote and respect the Residents’ Bill of Rights, dignity and privacy;
- Provide supervision and/or assistance to the residents in their activities of daily living;
- Observe and determine differences in usual emotional, social, behavioral and physical patterns;
- Recognize obvious changes in usual patterns and report these changes to the registered staff;
- Interact one-on-one with residents with or without language barriers, sensory deficits and/or communication aides, listen and validate individuals’ communications;
- Provide oral and dental care, maintain oral tissue integrity and observe for problems;
- Maintain skin, nail and foot care to promote and maintain skin integrity for comfort and mobility;
- Provide residents with preferred individual bedtime routine;
- Implement measures to keep body clean, comfortable and free from odor by washing and grooming;
- Assist with adaptive aids/prosthesis/mobility aids;
- Provide assistance in determining and supporting individuals’ usual elimination patterns and habits;
- Supervise and assist resident with feeding aids if required; provide texture modified food accordingly;
- Provide cognitive, social, emotional and spiritual support and assistance with all activities of daily living;
- Implement universal precautions and isolation techniques according to the infection control policies and procedures;
- Identify and implement emergency measures;
- Collect and monitor resident information;
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Secondary School Diploma and a Personal Support Worker Certificate that must complete a personal support worker program that meets the program requirements set by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities for an Ontario postsecondary institution or district school board to issue a personal support worker certificate. OR a person who is enrolled in an educational program for registered nurses or registered practical nurses and demonstrate adequate skills and knowledge to perform the duties of a personal support worker;;
- Valid CPR certificate and First Aid certificate;
- One-year experience in a long-term care facility;
- Medical certificate of good physical and mental health;
- Demonstrated interest in working with elderly with patience, kindness, compassion, and creativity;
- Ability to work rotating shifts (Day/Evening/Night) and alternative weekends;
- Proficiency in oral and written English; bilingual in Chinese is preferred.
Note: We thank all candidates for their interests. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
DISCLAIMER: Mon Sheong Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or testing, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.